LM317 High Power Constant Current Source Circuit
YouTube videos for this project:
- YouTube: Constant Current Source Tutorial YouTube
- YouTube: LM334 CCS Circuits with Thermistors, Photocells YouTube
- YouTube: LM317 Constant Current Source Circuits YouTube
- YouTube: Build H-Bridge Motor Control without Fireworks
A constant current source (CCS) in electronics is a device/circuit that produces a constant value of current regardless of source voltage or load resistance. A constant current circuit can also be used as a current limiter.
In this circuit we use a LM317 to control a MJ2955 15-amp PNP transistor. The above circuit is for testing only!
This is designed to limit circuit damage for developing other devices such as an H-Bridge. With a 5 or 10-ohm load adjust for desired maximum current.
Here I've used a LM317 as a constant current source to control the base current (Ib) through a MJ2955 15 amp 115 watt transistor. This supplies a far higher currant than the LM317 by itself.
In the diagram above taken from a live circuit test in the first video Q1's base current (Ib) is set by the 2K potentiometer and 10 ohm combination to produce an Ib of 8.62mA and Q1 with a DC gain (hfe) of 116 produces an output of 1 amp through a 10 ohm load.
Using a pass transistor does create a hfe drift problem as the transistor heats up - in my test higher hfe thus more current to the load. The LM317 current doesn't drop to zero (2-4mA) and even at the lowest setting Q1 is still turned on producing about 300mA so adding a 100 ohm resistor across Q1 B-E solves the problem.
Voltage regulation after the circuit is recommended and for the best efficiency use an input voltage near the desired voltage. 15-volts is good for a 12-volt regulator circuit if used.
Click here for full size schematic.
Above we boost the current out of a LM317. See LM317 Adjustable Voltage current Boost Power Supply
- Quick navigation of home page:
- Arduino Microcontroller Projects
- General Electronics Learning and Projects
- Raspberry Pi and Linux
- Connecting a PC Printer Port to Electronics with Python
- Microchip PIC 18F2550
- PICAXE Microcontroller
- Experiments with TL431 Shunt Regulator
- TL431 Precision Current Regulator Circuits
- LM317 Adjustable Voltage current Boost Power Supply
- LM317 High Power Constant Current Source Circuit
- Constant Current Circuits with the LM334
- LM317 Constant Current Source Circuits
- Introduction Hall Effect Switches, Sensors, and Circuits
- Basic Transistor Driver Circuits for Micro-Controllers
- Opto-Isolated Transistor Drivers for Micro-Controllers
- Geiger Counter Basics Radioactivity
- ULN2003A Darlington Transistor Array with Circuit Examples
- Tutorial Using TIP120 and TIP125 Power Darlington Transistors
- Driving 2N3055-MJ2955 Power Transistors with Darlington Transistors
- H-Bridge Motor Control with Power MOSFETS
- Build a High Power Transistor H-Bridge Motor Control