Fig. 1 Tri-state switch uses opto-isolator for high voltage isolation.
Tri-State Switch Circuit uses Optocouplers
By adding optocouplers to a tri-state switch we isolate 5-volt logic from high voltage output transistors.
For information on the digital gates see Review Connecting Digital Logic and Transistors.
The circuit example in Fig. 1 does two things. Q2 bipolar transistor was replaced with a N-channel power MOSFET.
To get above the 5-volt limit created by the 5-volt digital logic, I've used an optocoupler. This consists an LED infrared emitter and in this case a NPN photo transistor.
When the optocoupler transistor is switched on current flows though Rb1 turning on Q1.
+Vcc is the motor voltage limited by the collector-emitter voltage of the optocoupler. Rb1 is calculated to limit base current of Q1 and optocoupler circuit.
Fig. 2 is the PC817 optocoupler. I bought 50 for $5 from Ebay. It has a transistor voltage limit of 80-volts and a collector current of 30mA.
The formula to calculate Rb1 is +Vcc - 2V / 25mA. I chose 25mA to stay under the 30mA limit of the optocoupler transistor. Q1 is a TIP120 NPN Darlington with a gain of 1000.
For the power MOSFET Q2 see:
Fig. 3 shows the outline of the 4N25, 4N26, 4N27, 4N28 type optocouplers. The transistor has a collector-emitter breakdown voltage of 70V and a maximum current of 50mA.
For more information on optocoupler circuits see:
- Optocoupler MOSFET DC Relays Using Photovoltaic drivers
- Connecting Crydom MOSFET Solid State Relays
- Photodiode Op-Amp Circuits Tutorial
- Optocoupler Input Circuits for PLC
Fig. 4 is the truth table for Fig. 1.
- Tutorial NOR Gate SR Latch Circuits
- Tutorial NAND Gate SR Latch Circuit
- Basic Digital Circuits Tutorials
- High current TTL MOSFET Driver Circuit
- Non-Inverting Tri-State Buffer-Switch Demo Circuit
- Review Connecting Digital Logic and Transistors
- From SR Latch to Microcontroller IO Pin Introduction
- Transistor-MOSFET Switch Circuit with Optocouplers
- High Voltage Optocoupler Tri-State Switching Circuits
- Optocouplers for TTL-CMOS Logic Level Shifting
- Basic TTL Tri-State Buffer Circuit Example 1
- Basic TTL Tri-State Buffer Circuit Example 2
- Transistor Output Non-Inverting Tri-State Switch
- Transistor Output Inverting Tri-State Switch
- Tutorial OR-NOR Circuits Including Monostable Multivibrator
- Introduction to RC Differentiator Circuits and Uses
- Brief Tutorial of XOR and XNOR Logic Gates
- Simple Schmitt Trigger SN7414 Square Wave Generator
- SN7414 Square Wave Generator uses SN7476 JK Flip-Flop
- Three Output Pulse Generator Circuit for Digital Circuits
- Geiger Counter Adventures in Radioactivity
- Introduction to Geiger-Mueller Counters and Electronics
- Astable CD4047 Geiger Counter Power Supply
- CD4047 Monostable Multivibrator Circuit
- Getting Real About Radiation Myths and Hazards
- Uranium Hype-Facts and Virginia Uranium
- Uranium Basics and Isotopes
- Climate Change, Climate Scams, and Volcanoes