How to Use the ULN2003A Darlington transistor Array with Examples
Here we will explore using the versatile ULN2003A Darlington Transistor array with a typical micro-controller such as Arduino.
The ULN2003A is a high-voltage, high-current Darlington transistor array consisting of seven NPN Darlington pairs that feature
high-voltage outputs with common-cathode clamp diodes for switching inductive loads.
The collector-current rating of a single Darlington pair is 500 mA.
The Darlington pairs can be paralleled for higher current capability. Applications include relay drivers, hammer drivers, lamp drivers, display drivers (LED and gas discharge), line drivers, and logic buffers.
Internal diagram of the UNL2003A showing the open-collector Darlington configuration. The ULN2003A has a 2.7K ohm series base resistor for each Darlington pair for operation directly with TTL or 5-V CMOS devices.
Figure 3. ULN2003A Darlington Transistor array internal block diagram.
Figure 4. ULN2003A driving a unipolar stepper motor controlled by a PC printer port.
Figure 5. ULN2003A driving 7 24-volt light bulbs.
Figure 6. LN2003A driving 4 24-volt relays to control 4 120VAC lamps.
Figure 7. ULN2003A with parallel inputs-outputs driving 2 1-Amp motors.
I would not recommend using the above circuit. Use an actual transistor driver to handle higher currents. See Driving 2N3055-MJ2955 Power Transistors with Darlington Transistors.
- Photodiode Circuits Operation and Uses
- Tutorial MOSFET Output Solid State AC-DC Relays
- Optocoupler MOSFET DC Relays Using Photovoltaic drivers
- Connecting Crydom MOSFET Solid State Relays
- Photodiode Op-Amp Circuits Tutorial
- Optocoupler Input Circuits for PLC
- H11L1, 6N137A, FED8183, TLP2662 Digital Output Optocouplers
- ULN2003A Darlington Transistor Array with Circuit Examples
- Tutorial Using TIP120 and TIP125 Power Darlington Transistors
- Driving 2N3055-MJ2955 Power Transistors with Darlington Transistors
- Understanding Bipolar Transistor Switches
- N-Channel Power MOSFET Switching Tutorial
- P-Channel Power MOSFET Switch Tutorial
- H-Bridge Motor Control with Power MOSFETS
- More Power MOSFET H-Bridge Circuit Examples
- Build a High Power Transistor H-Bridge Motor Control