Geiger Counter Adventures in Radioactivity
by Lewis Loflin
Here we will look into Geiger counters. This section looks at electronics involving Geiger tubes, power supplies, radiation basics, etc. My purchase of a Geiger counter, which we will discuss, I'll use this as a standard for the rest of the projects involved.
What is called nuclear radiation is both electromagnetic radiation and atomic particles. The penetrating power depends on both energy levels and atomic mass. Fig. 1 illustrates these properties. Alpha particles are a helium nucleus stripped of electrons with an atomic mass of 4 and a charge of +2. They are slow and can be stopped by a few sheets of paper, they are highly ionizing - they can cause tissue and cell damage.
Next are negatively charged Beta particles - an electron. Beta particles have little mass and are far more penetrating than Alpha particles and can be stopped by a sheet of aluminum or a few inches of wood. Energy levels vary - higher energy levels the more penetrating, but have a lower ionizing potential than Alpha particles.
Gamma rays are electromagnetic radiation like X-Rays, but more powerful I think - depends son energy level. They are the more penetrating, but least ionizing. They can be stopped by several inches of lead.
For more on this subject see Getting Real About Radiation Myths and Hazards.
Fig. 2 Radalert 50TM Geiger Counter
Fig. 2 shows my Geiger counter a Radalert50TM that can detect Alpha, Beta, and Gamma radiation - not all Geiger counters can detect Alpha particles. Note the Alpha window in the illustration. The low-penetrating power of Alpha particles prevents them from passing through metal and class shells to trigger a discharge in the tube.
Fig. 3 LMD712 Geiger-Mueller Tube.
Fig. 3 is the LND712 tube used in my Geiger counter. A thin mica window will allow Alpha particles to pass into the tube.
For more in Geiger-Mueller tubes see Introduction to Geiger-Mueller Counters and Electronics
Fig. 4 Smoke detector radioactive alpha source.
Using a Geiger Counter
When the Geiger counter is turned on background radiation varies from 9 to 21 CPM or counts per minute. This is normal as cosmic rays, radon in the atmosphere, and various radioisotopes created random clicks.
The most common radioactive source in the home is a common smoke detector. It uses a small amount of Americium-241 an intense Alpha emitter. Americium-241 is produced in an atomic reactor in the same way plutonium is. As shown in the video a few sheets of paper stops the Alpha particles and normally adds nothing to background radiation.
Fig. 5 Weston Model 614 light level meter
has highly radioactive glass lens.
Click for larger picture.
After testing my Geiger counter on a junk smoke detector I went around the house checking radioactivity of my rock and mineral collection. No luck. I then went and check some of the early electronics in my collection and was stunned when a checked an old Weston Model 614 light level meter. Not only was there intense radiation through the Alpha window, but radiation penetrated the side of the case and the stainless steel Geiger tube shell. A few sheets of paper had little effect as shown in the video.
The radiation was coming from the selenium photocell section. Selenium was used in photovoltaic cells prior to the use of silicon after the 1940s. These meters were manufactured in the 1930s on according to literature.
There are no radioactive isotopes of selenium found in nature so that left the glass lens. Turns out prior to the 1960s glass lenses used up to 30% thorium oxide, which is 80-90% thorium. This also ended up in a lot of Kodak cameras.
Thorium itself isn't that radioactive, but its decay products are very radioactive. Thorium is a gray, heavy metal often mined with rare earth metals. It was also used mig welding rods and Coleman lamp mantels. Today thorium is no longer used in most applications and has little commercial use. It can be converted to nuclear fuel in an atomic reactor and its waste products are not as problematic as uranium fission products.
Note that radioactive intensity is proportional to the half-life of the radioisotope - shorter the half-life the more intense the radiation. Fig. 6 show the radioactive decay chain for thorium 232. All isotopes of thorium has 90 protons and the half-life in this case is 1.4 billion years.
Let's suppose the lens in my Weston 614 according to the literature is 30% thorium oxide, by weight a 1 ounce lens could have a quarter ounce of thorium. Let's argue the lens was made in 1947 and every second we have 10,000 thorium atoms emitting an Alpha particle becoming radium 228 with a half life of 5.7 years. That's every second of every day for the last 70 years. That's over 2.2 BILLION radium atoms and over 2.2 BILLION Alpha particles. This won't even begin to touch the number of atoms of thorium remaining in the lens.
Radium has 88 protons where the thorium lost two protons and two neutrons to the Alpha particle.
But there's even more. Let's just look at the first 10,000 radium atoms from thorium decay - radium 228 has a half-life of 5.7 year. 5.7 years later half of those first 10,000 radium atoms have thrown off a Beta particle (a neutron breaks apart into a proton and electron likely some Gamma radiation as well) becoming Actinium 228 with a half-life 6.1 minutes. 6.1 minutes later half of the Actinium atoms has thrown off another Beta particle.
It's like a radioactive avalanche effect where that single thorium atom in 1947 nine or more Alpha and Beta particles are thrown off in the next century by the time it becomes stable lead 208 (82 protons). This chain starts again every second and they all add together.
Of the Alpha particles are produced in the decay chain most never penetrate the glass while Beta and Gamma radiation passes through. That's why my paper shield has little effect on the lens while totally stopping the Alpha radiation from the smoke detector Americium-241.
Over the decades the glass turns brown.
See the links below for more aspects on this subject.
- Geiger Counter Adventures in Radioactivity
- Introduction to Geiger-Mueller Counters and Electronics
- Astable CD4047 Geiger Counter Power Supply
- CD4047 Monostable Multivibrator Circuit
- Getting Real About Radiation Myths and Hazards
- Uranium Hype-Facts and Virginia Uranium
- Uranium Basics and Isotopes
- Climate Change, Climate Scams, and Volcanoes
- Technology is Why the Jobs are Not Coming Back
- Off-the-Shelf Technology for Space Exploration
- Related Literature:
- CD4047 Spec Sheet PDF
- MIT Radiation Units Explained PDF
- Maxim Bias Supply Powers Low-Power Geiger-Mueller Tube PDF
- Radalert50 Geiger Counter User Manual PDF
- Radiation in Smoke Detectors by Eric Eason PDF
- Fall of the Late Roman Empire
- End of the Vikings in Greenland
- Lost Colony of Roanoke Island
- Whale Fossils Unlock the History of the North
- Modern Humans Originate in Asia 80,000 Years Ago
- Hurricanes Versus Climate Change
- Dinosaur Extinction New Questions
- Massive Meteor Explosion Kills Stone Age America
- Mythical Flood or Meteor Strike?
- Useful Science Information on Climate Change Industry
- Climate Change Gravy Train on the Defensive
10% of the earth's water is water vapor. Plants use water for photosynthesis which releases water into the atmosphere. Plants produce water vapor as does the oceans and surface water evaporation. More vegetation more water vapor more LOCAL climate variation, more water more plants, etc. The process is known as transpiration.
Water vapor can be as high as 4% of the atmosphere or 40,000 PPM. Formula = N% X 10,000
CO2 is 400 PPM depending on temperature. Warm water holds less CO2 than cold water. The atmosphere is 0.04% CO2.
Ratio of water vapor to CO2 is 100 to 1.
Guess what that means.
Ref. www.nasa.gov 11/17/2008 "Water vapor confirmed as major player in climate change"
- Environmentalism Versus Scientific Method
- James Lovelock Environmentalism as Religion
- Disclosure Law Threatens EPA-Industrial Complex
- Al Gore Fusing Christianity to Environmentalism
- Green Religion Won't Save Appalachia
- Hypsithermal Warming Spreads Civilization
- Shockingly Rapid Climatic Shifts are Real
- How Warmer Climate Can Mean More Life
- Innovation and Technology Not Earth-Centered Religion Part 1
- Innovation and Technology Not Earth-Centered Religion Part 2
- Religious Fundamentalism Explained by Michael Crichton.
- Biocentrism vs. Science
- Toxicity Of Environmentalism
- There's No Man-Made Global Mass Extinction
- Bikini Atoll Recovery From Nuclear Blasts
- Earth Going Green Environmentalists in Denial
- Ocean Acidification or Warming But Not Both
- Nuclear Power Green and Affordable
- Environmentalism is Religious in Nature
- Ages of Gaia, Science, and Environmental Religion
- How Bacteria Created Natural Nuclear Fission
- Michael Crichton Speech - Environmentalism as Religion
- Science Facts Debunks Michael "Hockey Stick" Mann
- Environmentalism as Religion by Michael Fumento
- Environmentalism's Fear-Loathing of Technology
- How Ecological Homeostasis and Hysteresis Regulate Climate
- Origins of the Moon and Life on Earth
- Great Dying Mystery and the End of the Dinosaurs
- Virginia Congressman Confronts Climate Scientists