Fig. 1 CD4047 Monostable Mode Multivibrator circuit.
CD4047 Monostable Multivibrator Circuit
by Lewis Loflin
A Monostable Multivibrator is defined as:
Monostable Multivibrators or "One-Shot Multivibrators" as they are also called, are used to generate a single output pulse of a specified width, either "HIGH" or "LOW" when a suitable external trigger signal or pulse T is applied.
Monostable multivibrator, in which one of the states is stable, but the other state is unstable (transient). A trigger pulse causes the circuit to enter the unstable state. After entering the unstable state, the circuit will return to the stable state after a set time. Such a circuit is useful for creating a timing period of fixed duration in response to some external event. This circuit is also known as a one shot.
To simplify it's a circuit that when it receives an input pulse will produce an output waveform whose ON time is based on a capacitor-resistor combination then it will switch off.
These can be built with logic gates, transistors, or specialized integrated circuits. I'll explore some basic theory I'll focus on the CD4047 astable/monostable multivibrator.
The CD4047 is easy to configure for either mode, is low power, and has a voltage range of 3-15 volts, but works best at 5 volts. The circuit is strait forward just as shown.
Fig. 2 CD4047 Monostable Mode Multivibrator Waveform.
Fig. 2 illustrates the output from the CD4027 in the monostable mode. The input is a square wave but the differentiator formed by a 22pF capacitor created a positive going 'spike" that triggers a HIGH output whose ON time depends on the values of C1 and R1. The formula is Q = 2.48 * R1 * C1. In the example above Qon = 2.48 * 0.0000001 * 90,000 = 22.34 mSec.
Changing C1 to 2200pF and R1 to 10,000, Qon = 2.48 * 0.0000000022 * 10,000 =~ 55uSec.
A monostable can be useful for signal conditioning or time delay circuits. My test using polarized capacitors shows polarity doesn't matter.
- Geiger Counter Adventures in Radioactivity
- Introduction to Geiger-Mueller Counters and Electronics
- Astable CD4047 Geiger Counter Power Supply
- CD4047 Monostable Multivibrator Circuit
- Getting Real About Radiation Myths and Hazards
- Uranium Hype-Facts and Virginia Uranium
- Uranium Basics and Isotopes
- Climate Change, Climate Scams, and Volcanoes
- Technology is Why the Jobs are Not Coming Back
- Off-the-Shelf Technology for Space Exploration
- Related Literature:
- CD4047 Spec Sheet PDF
- MIT Radiation Units Explained PDF
- Maxim Bias Supply Powers Low-Power Geiger-Mueller Tube PDF
- Radalert50 Geiger Counter User Manual PDF
- Radiation in Smoke Detectors by Eric Eason PDF
- Fall of the Late Roman Empire
- End of the Vikings in Greenland
- Lost Colony of Roanoke Island
- Whale Fossils Unlock the History of the North
- Modern Humans Originate in Asia 80,000 Years Ago
- Hurricanes Versus Climate Change
- Dinosaur Extinction New Questions
- Massive Meteor Explosion Kills Stone Age America
- Mythical Flood or Meteor Strike?
- Useful Science Information on Climate Change Industry
- Climate Change Gravy Train on the Defensive
10% of the earth's water is water vapor. Plants use water for photosynthesis which releases water into the atmosphere. Plants produce water vapor as does the oceans and surface water evaporation. More vegetation more water vapor more LOCAL climate variation, more water more plants, etc. The process is known as transpiration.
Water vapor can be as high as 4% of the atmosphere or 40,000 PPM. Formula = N% X 10,000
CO2 is 400 PPM depending on temperature. Warm water holds less CO2 than cold water. The atmosphere is 0.04% CO2.
Ratio of water vapor to CO2 is 100 to 1.
Guess what that means.
Ref. www.nasa.gov 11/17/2008 "Water vapor confirmed as major player in climate change"
- Environmentalism Versus Scientific Method
- James Lovelock Environmentalism as Religion
- Disclosure Law Threatens EPA-Industrial Complex
- Al Gore Fusing Christianity to Environmentalism
- Green Religion Won't Save Appalachia
- Hypsithermal Warming Spreads Civilization
- Shockingly Rapid Climatic Shifts are Real
- How Warmer Climate Can Mean More Life
- Innovation and Technology Not Earth-Centered Religion Part 1
- Innovation and Technology Not Earth-Centered Religion Part 2
- Religious Fundamentalism Explained by Michael Crichton.
- Biocentrism vs. Science
- Toxicity Of Environmentalism
- There's No Man-Made Global Mass Extinction
- Bikini Atoll Recovery From Nuclear Blasts
- Earth Going Green Environmentalists in Denial
- Ocean Acidification or Warming But Not Both
- Nuclear Power Green and Affordable
- Environmentalism is Religious in Nature
- Ages of Gaia, Science, and Environmental Religion
- How Bacteria Created Natural Nuclear Fission
- Michael Crichton Speech - Environmentalism as Religion
- Science Facts Debunks Michael "Hockey Stick" Mann
- Environmentalism as Religion by Michael Fumento
- Environmentalism's Fear-Loathing of Technology
- How Ecological Homeostasis and Hysteresis Regulate Climate
- Origins of the Moon and Life on Earth
- Great Dying Mystery and the End of the Dinosaurs
- Virginia Congressman Confronts Climate Scientists