Fig. 1 CD4047 Monostable Mode Multivibrator circuit.
CD4047 Monostable Multivibrator Circuit
by Lewis Loflin
A Monostable Multivibrator is defined as:
Monostable Multivibrators or "One-Shot Multivibrators" as they are also called, are used to generate a single output pulse of a specified width, either "HIGH" or "LOW" when a suitable external trigger signal or pulse T is applied.
Monostable multivibrator, in which one of the states is stable, but the other state is unstable (transient). A trigger pulse causes the circuit to enter the unstable state. After entering the unstable state, the circuit will return to the stable state after a set time. Such a circuit is useful for creating a timing period of fixed duration in response to some external event. This circuit is also known as a one shot.
To simplify it's a circuit that when it receives an input pulse will produce an output waveform whose ON time is based on a capacitor-resistor combination then it will switch off.
These can be built with logic gates, transistors, or specialized integrated circuits. I'll explore some basic theory I'll focus on the CD4047 astable/monostable multivibrator.
The CD4047 is easy to configure for either mode, is low power, and has a voltage range of 3-15 volts, but works best at 5 volts. The circuit is strait forward just as shown.
Fig. 2 CD4047 Monostable Mode Multivibrator Waveform.
Fig. 2 illustrates the output from the CD4027 in the monostable mode. The input is a square wave but the differentiator formed by a 22pF capacitor created a positive going 'spike" that triggers a HIGH output whose ON time depends on the values of C1 and R1. The formula is Q = 2.48 * R1 * C1. In the example above Qon = 2.48 * 0.0000001 * 90,000 = 22.34 mSec.
Changing C1 to 2200pF and R1 to 10,000, Qon = 2.48 * 0.0000000022 * 10,000 =~ 55uSec.
A monostable can be useful for signal conditioning or time delay circuits. My test using polarized capacitors shows polarity doesn't matter.
- Geiger Counter Adventures in Radioactivity
- Introduction to Geiger-Mueller Counters and Electronics
- Astable CD4047 Geiger Counter Power Supply
- CD4047 Monostable Multivibrator Circuit
- Getting Real About Radiation Myths and Hazards
- Uranium Hype-Facts and Virginia Uranium
- Uranium Basics and Isotopes
- Climate Change, Climate Scams, and Volcanoes
- Related Literature:
- CD4047 Spec Sheet PDF
- MIT Radiation Units Explained PDF
- Maxim Bias Supply Powers Low-Power Geiger-Mueller Tube PDF
- Radalert50 Geiger Counter User Manual PDF
- Radiation in Smoke Detectors by Eric Eason PDF
- Common Sense Environmentalism (Archive)
- Spiritual Ecology Versus Science
- Dr. James Hansen Paid Environmentalist
- Green Religion Won't Save Appalachia
- How Ecological Homeostasis and Hysteresis Regulate Climate
- Michael Crichton Speech - Environmentalism as Religion
- Dissecting Al Gore's Book Earth in the Balance
- Postmodernism Attacks Reason, Science, and Culture
- Ages of Gaia Writer James Lovelock Sounds an Alarm
- Writer James Lovelock Backtracks on Revenge of Gaia
- Hypsithermal Warming Spreads Civilization
- Shockingly Rapid Climatic Shifts are Real
- Bikini Atoll Recovery From Nuclear Blasts
- NASA says Earth Going Greener
- Climate change changes history:
- Fall of the Late Roman Empire
- End of the Vikings in Greenland
- Lost Colony of Roanoke Island
- Whale Fossils Unlock the History of the North
- New Age Religion
- Demiurge Creator of the World
- Christian Trinity
- Jesus the Man
- Pelagius Heretic was Right
- Apostle Paul Founder Christianity
- Christian Original Sin
- Religious Themes
- Archive 1