Raspberry Pi Using Light Weight Beaver Text Editor
Beaver is my text editor of choice for Linux. I've compiled and used Beaver for Raspberry Pi, and other lightweight Debian based systems, and Slackware. Beaver is flexible.
Beaver fight software "bloat". I discovered Beaver in Damn Small Linux. Visit the Beaver Website
The project has been dormant for the past several years but has been revived. To quote the official website:
What is Beaver? Beaver is a recursive acronym for Beaver is an Early AdVanced EditoR. It is intended for Linux and other Unices (even Windows eventually). It is licensed under the GNU GPL v.2 and intended to be lightweight, but full of useful features for programming, from website editing to coding.
It is based upon the GTK+ 2 toolkit, supports many languages through config files and offers functions such as automatic indentation, completion and correction, as well as syntax highlighting. It even has its own mini macro language.
Why choose Beaver? We hear this question often, but actually there are quite a lot of reasons to choose Beaver:
Beaver fights bloat. Beaver is committed to the idea of lean and powerful software. Why should an editor be fat and slow if it could also be lightweight and fast? Our source is written entirely in C to maintain the smallest footprint possible. We are committed to the small and micro distribution community.
Beaver has staying power. To date it has survived two different administrative change-overs, and it remains the text-editor of choice in some of the world's smallest Linux distributions.
In the case of Raspberry Pi Beaver isn't bloated like Geany and has more useful features than Leafpad.
There are two ways to install Beaver on your Linux system. One can download and install a package or compile from source. I have compiled three packages for Debian, Raspberry Pi, and Slackware as listed below. (They only work on their respective systems.)
Note: 32-bit won't work on a 64-bit system!
- Raspberry Pi beaver_0.4.1-1_armhf.deb Raspberry Pi
- beaver_0.4.0-1_i386.deb for 32-bit PC
- beaver_0.4.0_1_amd64.deb for 64-bit PC
- Slackware beaver-0.4.1-i486-1_SBo.tgz for 32-bit PC
- Software and setup:
- Raspberry Pi Openbox Desktop 2019
- Raspberry Pi USB Audio Connection 2019
- Raspberry Pi Screen Shots with Scrot
- Raspberry Pi Window Manager Control with Xinitrc
- Raspberry Pi uses FEH Desktop Backgrounds
- Zmixer ALSA Sound Control to Raspberry Pi
- Beaver Text Editor to Raspberry Pi
- Viewnior Lightweight Image Viewer for Raspberry Pi
- Connecting DS1307 RTC to Raspberry Pi
- Setup JWM Window Manager for Raspberry Pi
- Setting up Openbox for Raspberry Pi
- Web Master
- Bristol VA/TN
- US Constitution
- Religious Themes
- Religion Archive 1
- Gen. Electronics
- YouTube Channel
- Arduino Projects
- Raspberry Pi & Linux
- PIC18F2550 in C
- PIC16F628A Assembly
- PICAXE Projects
- WiringPi and Pulse-Width-Modulation with Raspberry Pi
- WiringPi for Raspberry Pi and MAX6675 thermal-couple sensor
- WiringPi Blink an LED Demo
- Interface I2C LCD to Raspberry Pi in C
- ADS1115 4-Channel ADC Uses I2C with Raspberry Pi
- MCP4725 12-Bit DAC Interface to Raspberry Pi
- Raspberry Pi with PCF8591 Analog To Digital Control in C
- Raspberry Pi PCF8591 AD-DA Sensor Python Interface