Light Fast Linux Desktops with Openbox, JWM
This is a collection of programs and hardware hacks related to mainly Raspberry Pi and Debian Linux.
Raspberry Pi uses an ARM version of Debian Linux Raspbian. Most programs operate the same on a PC or Raspberry Pi.
I often use Raspberry Pi to configure various desktops then port that to a Linux PC.
Note electronic hardware connections differ between a PC and Raspberry Pi. RPI has programmable IO pins also known as GPIO. This is how connections electronics.
A PC hardware today can only come through a printer port. Motherboards stopped using these 10 circa 2011. But many surplus powerful motherboards can be bought used on Ebay. I program these in C.
I also include several pre-made Debian packages below for Linux and Raspberry Pi.
- Test Reuse Surplus PC Power Supplies
- Add WBAR Launch Dock to Raspberry Pi
- Add MPG123 Terminal Music Player to Raspberry Pi, Linux
- Basics of Alsamixer Audio Control for Linux
- Add Solid State Hard Drive to Raspberry Pi
- Beep a PC Speaker Add Beeper to Raspberry Pi
- Using FEH Wallpaper Setter Under Linux
- Scrot Lite Weight Screen Shot Software for Linux
- Using Light Weight Beaver Text Editor
- Install Viewnior Image Viewer for Linux
- Zmixer ALSA Sound Control Tutorial
- Tutorial Xinitrc Desktop Manager Control for Linux
- Setup Raspberry Pi Using JWM Window Manager
- Introduction to Python Bitwise Operations
- Python Bitwise Operations by Example
Fig. 1 Parallel port demo with stepper motor and serial LCD display.
Printer Port Projects
- Exploring Digital Computer Electronics
- Hardware Review Connecting PC Parallel Ports
- Operation TB6600 Stepper Controller with PC Parallel Port
- Build or Buy Parallel Port Breakout Board?
- Build Serial HD44780 LCD Display Connect to Parallel Port
- Presario 1999 CM1001 Gaming Computer Salvage
- Live Test 2002 VIA EPIA-800 Mini ITX Motherboard
- Salvage, Test 2012 AAEON EMB-B75A Industrial Motherboard
- Using the powerful Rox-Filer system in Linux
- Use FEH under Linux for a Wallpaper Setter
- How to create Symbolic links in Linux
Some hardware oriented pages have moved. See:
Pre-compiled packages of what I like to use. Also includes webpage. Operate the same on a desktop or Raspberry Pi.
For the Raspberry Pi rpi_zmixer binary place in /home/pi/bin or /usr/local/bin.
Set permissions to executable from terminal:
Sudo chmod +x pi_zmixer
- pi_zmixer Zmixer Binary for Raspberry Pi
- zmixer_0.2.1-1_amd64.deb Debian 64-bit
- zmixer_0.2.1-1_i386.deb Debian 32-bit
- viewnior_1.3-1_armhf.deb for Raspberry Pi
- viewnior_386.deb 32-bit Debian
- viewnior-1.3-i486_SB.tgz 32-bit for Slackware
- beaver_0.4.1-1_armhf.deb Raspberry Pi
- beaver_0.4.0-1_i386.deb for 32-bit Debian
- beaver_0.4.0_1_amd64.deb for 64-bit Debian
- beaver-0.4.1-i486-1_SBo.tgz for 32-bit Slackware
Web site Copyright Lewis Loflin, All rights reserved.
If using this material on another site, please provide a link back to my site.