Using FEH Wallpaper Setter, Picture Viewer Under Linux
(Above) Openbox Desktop with Rox-Filer Icon Bar and XFCE4 Panel.
Also see Scrot Lite Weight Screen Shot Software for Linux
FEH is a light weight image viewer and wallpaper setter for Linux. It has a command line interface and uses very little system resources. It's ideal for use in low RAM or older machines. Here we use it under Debian Wheezey - it works the same with Raspberry Pi or a regular Linux PC.
This is used for both Openbox, Fluxbox, and JWM in my various versions of Linux desktops. It won't work with XFCE or LXDE desktops.
To get FEH open a terminal and type the following if not already installed:
$ sudo apt-get install feh
Still in the terminal, open an image with feh. In Pibang backgrounds are in /usr/share/backgrounds/ or in my live distribution /usr/local/backgrounds/ or /usr/local/bgs/.
$ feh --bg-scale /usr/share/backgrounds/image.file
The image will open - right click on the image go to file then background and select how the image will be set. Close out the image and look at your desktop.
Other scaling options include:
To restore the background on the next session, add the following to your startup file (e.g. ~/.xinitrc, ~/.config/openbox/autostart, etc.):
$ sh ~/.fehbg &
To change the background image to soemthing else you could directly edit the file .fehbg in your home directory (this is a hidden file) which gets created after running the command feh --bg-scale /path/to/image.file mentioned above.
See the FEH Wiki.
FEH Picture Viewer
FEH is also a powerful and fast image viewer. Because it is command line program I created a bash file.
There are two options. Drop the file into the image directory or if in your ~/bin folder include the complete path to the image folder.
# some feh commands
# -z, --randomize
# -d draws the file name
# -g sets window no larger than width x height
# -Z, --auto-zoom image fills woindow
# -., --scale-down image reduced to fit window
# -i, --index It creates an index print of thumb‐
# nails, printing the image name beneath each thumbnail.
Note the images be it backgrounds or family pictures can be scrolled through with the left-right arrows or space bar.
Let's say the user is myself and I have images in folder wp:
#!/bin/bash feh -g 800x600 -Z. /home/lewis/wp/ end
Note that with the auto zoom switch "Z" is really small images can be overblown. so if I have an image directory with small and large images leave out "Z".
If the file is executed inside the folder wp /home/lewis/wp/ path can be left out. By the way the wallpaper setter still works.
Small images smaller than 800x600 in this example stay the same, images larger than 800x600 are scaled down.
#!/bin/bash feh -g 800x600 -. /home/lewis/wp/ end
FEH can also create a clickable thumbnail image box of all images in the directory.
#!/bin/bash feh -g 800x600 -. -i /home/lewis/wp/ end
Make sure the file is executable.
- Software and setup:
- Raspberry Pi Openbox Desktop 2019
- Setting up Openbox for Raspberry Pi
- Using FEH Wallpaper Setter Under Linux
- Add MPG123 Terminal Music Player to Raspberry Pi, Linux
- Basics of Alsamixer Audio Control for Linux
- Tutorial Xinitrc Desktop Manager Control for Linux
- Main Light Fast Linux Desktops with Openbox, JWM
- Test Reuse Surplus PC Power Supplies
- Add WBAR Launch Dock to Raspberry Pi
- Add Solid State Hard Drive to Raspberry Pi
- Beep a PC Speaker Add Beeper to Raspberry Pi
- Scrot Lite Weight Screen Shot Software for Linux
- Using Light Weight Beaver Text Editor
- Install Viewnior Image Viewer for Linux
- Zmixer ALSA Sound Control Tutorial
- Setup Raspberry Pi Using JWM Window Manager
- Live Linux Distro for Using Printer Port with Electronics
- Using the powerful Rox-Filer system in Linux
- Use FEH under Linux for a Wallpaper Setter
- How to create Symbolic links in Linux
- Exploring Digital Computer Electronics
- Hardware Review Connecting PC Parallel Ports
- Operation TB6600 Stepper Controller with PC Parallel Port
- Build or Buy Parallel Port Breakout Board?
- Build Serial HD44780 LCD Display Connect to Parallel Port
- Presario 1999 CM1001 Gaming Computer Salvage
- Live Test 2002 VIA EPIA-800 Mini ITX Motherboard
- Salvage, Test 2012 AAEON EMB-B75A Industrial Motherboard
Web site Copyright Lewis Loflin, All rights reserved.
If using this material on another site, please provide a link back to my site.