Raspberry Pi-Slackware-Debian Install Viewnior Image Viewer
Viewnior is a great lightweight image viewer for Linux based systems. I've used this on various Debian based systems and Slackware. I've chosen this for my Raspberry Pi project because it's fast and does what I need it to do. It is used in Crunchbang, SalixOS, SliTaz, ALTLinux, Zenwalk, Puppy Linux.
This can be downloaded from Viewnior Website and one can compile their own or one can download one of the pre-compiled packages from my website - use only the "armhf" package for Raspberry Pi.
If one uses their PC then the package has to be transferred to a directory ont he Raspberry Pi. Open a terminal in that directory and do the following:
$ sudo dpkg -i viewnior_1.3-1_armhf.deb
Compile from Source
This must be done ON the raspberry Pi.
The latest stable release is Viewnior 1.3. Viewnior depends only on gtk+-2.0 and intltool. See the section on tarballs below.
If you haven't installed gtk+-2.0 and intltool do the following:
$ sudo apt-get install gtk+-2.0 intltool
The do the following (assuming you are in the directory with the tar.gz package):
$ tar -xzvf viewnior-1.3.tar.gz
$ cd viewnior-1.3
$ sudo make install
What you did above:
1) Uncompressed the files in viewnior-1.3.tar.gz and stored in new directory;
2) "cd" moved you to the new directory;
3)"./configure" built the system need to "make" the viewnior binary - this can take a few minutes and will tell you if there's a problem;
4)"make" produces the actual binary and will indicate if successful;
5) we "install" viewnior to the system.
Quick Look at Tar Files
Many files in Linux come as compressed files often called tarballs. One can use Xarchiver that comes stock with Raspberry Pi and Pibang in your window manager.
But that requires that Openbox, JWM, LXDE, etc. are working and Xarchiver won't work easily from a command line. Let's learn to use the terminal and command line. Note the following examples:
tar -xvf myfile.tar
tar -xzvf myfile.tar.gz
tar -xjvf myfile.tar.bz2
-x : Extract a tar ball.
-v : Verbose output or show progress while extracting files.
-f : Specify an archive or a tarball filename.
-j : Decompress and extract the contents of the compressed archive created by bzip2 program (tar.bz2 extension).
-z : Decompress and extract the contents of the compressed archive created by gzip program (tar.gz extension).
Thus as you saw for Viewnior this created a new folder viewnior-1.3 with a dozen or so small separate files.
- Build Your Own Raspberry Pi Arduino System
- Setting up Openbox for Raspberry Pi
- Raspberry Pi Linux Permissions-Program Installations
- Connecting DS1307 RTC to Raspberry Pi
- Raspberry Pi Window Manager Control with Xinitrc
- Setup FSTAB, Symbolic Links for Raspberry Pi
- Change Background Wallpaper on Raspberry Pi with FEH
- Setup JWM Window Manager for Raspberry Pi
- Raspberry Pi USB Audio Connection
- Additional Program not in the Repositories
- Add Zmixer ALSA Sound Control to Raspberry Pi
- Adding Lightweight Beaver Text Editor to Raspberry Pi
- Add Viewnior Lightweight Image Viewer for Raspberry Pi