Alternate Desktops for Raspberry Pi
by Lewis Loflin
(Above) Raspberry Pi Openbox desktop with Rox-Filer pinboard and Tint2 bar at the bottom. Tint2 can set set to top or bottom of desktop.
Date: April 26, 2019.
In Raspberry Pi Openbox Desktop 2019 we have Raspberry Pi boot to the command line. Type startx and the system will search for a file .xinitrc in the Pi home folder.
A file proceeded by a "." is hidden unless the file manager is set to show hidden files. This file determines what window manager to use and what to add to it.
This assumes the correct software is install So do the following:
sudo apt-get update
Now one must decide just what they want to do. You must download and install the following with xfce4-panel optional. i have separate pages on individual programs.
I used the Raspbian without the kiddie software, Libreoffice, etc.
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt-get install conky feh rox-filer clipit openbox menu /
obmenu jwm fluxbox xfce4-panel volti
Pcmanfm file manager comes with Raspberry Pi LXDE desktop. It also doubles as desktop manager with LXDE. It also comes with LXpanel that can be used with another window manager such as Openbox.
First I come to FEH to set the desktop wallpaper. This is seen when no pin board is used. See Using FEH.
#!/bin/sh # ~/.xinitrc # # Executed by startx # (run your window manager from here) #FEH wallpaper or could use nitrogen # feh must be installed see text # feh --bg-scale '/home/pi/wallpaper/file_name.jpg' # or #sh ~/.fehbg & #bottom or top panel bar choose 1 # tint2 and xfce4-panel must installed # tint2 must be configured exec tint2 & #exec lxpanel & #exec xfce4-panel & # my main piboard is from Rox-Filer # must be installed #exec rox --pinboard=pblewis & # Creates a strip on top or bottom #rox --top=myp2 & # Pcmanfm come with LXDE as its pinboaerd # Don't use with rox strip or pinboard. #exec pcmanfm --desktop & # clipboard if installed # clipit & # parcellite & # system monitor if installed #exec conky & #sleep 2 # tray volume controls if installed #retrovol.sh & # volti & exec openbox #/usr/bin/openbox-lxde #/usr/bin/openbox-lxde-pi #/usr/bin/startlxde #/usr/bin/startlxde-pi # these are alternate window managers. # will require additional menu set up. #exec jwm #exec fluxbox
- Software and setup:
- Raspberry Pi Openbox Desktop 2019
- Raspberry Pi USB Audio Connection 2019
- Raspberry Pi Screen Shots with Scrot
- Raspberry Pi Window Manager Control with Xinitrc
- Raspberry Pi uses FEH Desktop Backgrounds
- Zmixer ALSA Sound Control to Raspberry Pi
- Beaver Text Editor to Raspberry Pi
- Viewnior Lightweight Image Viewer for Raspberry Pi
- Connecting DS1307 RTC to Raspberry Pi
- Setup JWM Window Manager for Raspberry Pi
- Setting up Openbox for Raspberry Pi
- Web Master
- Bristol VA/TN
- US Constitution
- Religious Themes
- Religion Archive 1
- Gen. Electronics
- YouTube Channel
- Arduino Projects
- Raspberry Pi & Linux
- PIC18F2550 in C
- PIC16F628A Assembly
- PICAXE Projects
- WiringPi and Pulse-Width-Modulation with Raspberry Pi
- WiringPi for Raspberry Pi and MAX6675 thermal-couple sensor
- WiringPi Blink an LED Demo
- Interface I2C LCD to Raspberry Pi in C
- ADS1115 4-Channel ADC Uses I2C with Raspberry Pi
- MCP4725 12-Bit DAC Interface to Raspberry Pi
- Raspberry Pi with PCF8591 Analog To Digital Control in C
- Raspberry Pi PCF8591 AD-DA Sensor Python Interface