Fig. 1 H-Bridge schematic with Darlington-IGBT transistor outputs.
H-Bridge schematic with Darlington-IGBT Transistor Outputs
Because I could use the same test setup for IGBTs as n-channel MOSFETs I tested those I had.
IGBTs at least those I own shouldn't be used unless it's a very high voltage circuit. They have a high voltage drop (Vce ~2V) with low voltage h-bridge circuits and are better used for higher voltage switching.
Conclusion: IGBTs don't work directly with 3.3V and 5V micro-controllers such as Arduino. At least 7-volts is required for turn on. The high Vce of 1.5V to 2V can waste power.
IGBTs do differ from MOSFETs with both positive flow and electron flow could deliver more power even at 2V Vce to the load. They are really designed for high-voltage switching.
* from spec sheet.
** no data found.
- Optical Isolation of H-Bridge Motor Controls
- All NPN Transistor H-Bridge Motor Control
- Basic Transistor Driver Circuits for Micro-Controllers
- ULN2003A Darlington Transistor Array with Circuit Examples
- Tutorial Using TIP120 and TIP125 Power Darlington Transistors
- Driving 2N3055-MJ2955 Power Transistors with Darlington Transistors
- Understanding Bipolar Transistor Switches
- N-Channel Power MOSFET Switching Tutorial
- P-Channel Power MOSFET Switch Tutorial
- Build a Transistor H-Bridge Motor Control
- H-Bridge Motor Control with Power MOSFETS
- More Power MOSFET H-Bridge Circuit Examples
- Build a High Power Transistor H-Bridge Motor Control
- H-Bridge Motor Control with Power MOSFETS Updated
- Opto-Isolated Transistor Drivers for Micro-Controllers
- High current TTL MOSFET Driver Circuit
- Non-Inverting Tri-State Buffer-Switch Demo Circuit
- Review Connecting Digital Logic and Transistors
- Tri-State H-Bridge Uses Optocouplers
- Driving Darlington Transistors with Optocouplers
- Optocouplers for TTL-CMOS Logic Level Shifting
- Basic TTL Tri-State Buffer Circuit Examples
- H-Bridge Schematic with MOSFET Outputs
- H-Bridge Schematic with Darlington-MOSFET Transistor Outputs
- H-Bridge schematic with Darlington-IGBT Transistor Outputs
- Tutorial NOR Gate SR Latch Circuits
- Tutorial NAND Gate SR Latch Circuit
- From SR Latch to Microcontroller IO Pin Introduction
- From Basic Digital Circuits to H-Bridge Motor Controls
- Off Site:
- Web Master
- Tri-Cities VA-TN
- General Science
- Hobby Electronics
- US Constitution
- Christianity 101
- Religious Themes
- Guestbook Archive
- Youtube videos:
- Driving High-Power Darlington Transistors
- Four MOSFET Tri-State Switch
- Overview Toshiba IGBT Application Notes
- MOSFETs and Electron Flow
- 3.3 Volt Logic Controls H-Bridge TTL Input
- H-Bridge Driving Large Motor
- Simple Digital Interface Circuits
- OptoCoupler Interfacing H-Bridge Circuits
- Why Your MOSFET Transistors Get Hot
- Comparing Photo Triac, Photo SCR Opto-Couplers
- Light Activated SCR Based Optocouplers Circuit Examples
- Silicon Controlled Rectifier Review and Circuits
- Silicon Controlled Rectifiers Connected as Power Triacs
- Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor IGBT Circuits
- Current Limiter Circuits for Opto-Coupler LEDs
- VOM1271 Photovoltaic MOSFET Driver Circuits
- Current Limiter Allows Safe Testing of Zener Diodes, LEDs
- 3 Amp LM741 Op-Amp Constant Current Source
- Bidirectional Solid State Relay Circuits
- Simple Solid State Relay for Low Power LED 120V Lamps
- Build High Power MOSFET Bidirectional Switch Relay
- Exploring Solid State Relays and Control Circuits
Web site Copyright Lewis Loflin, All rights reserved.
If using this material on another site, please provide a link back to my site.